Hi Friends!! Happy Thursday to all of you! Is it just me or is this week really starting to feel like fall? The leaves are falling, the temperatures are dropping, and I for one am SO excited. Fall means Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving means all of my absolute favorite foods.
Speaking of Thanksgiving… one of my all-time favorite desserts is apple crisp. There is just something about the crumbly, sugary topping and the gooey apples that gets me every time. I typically save the apple crisp enjoyment for Thanksgiving Day and the weekend following, once the crisp is gone, that’s it until next year.
This year, I’ve found myself getting a little bored with the pumpkin treats everywhere. My Instagram feed has just been one pumpkin recipe after the next, something I am totally guilty of as well. I got to thinking… why not have apple crisp earlier in the season and I got to baking.
This Clean Apple Crisp is filled with clean, wholesome ingredients. It is refined sugar free and dairy free, without sacrificing any taste!
- 1 C Steel Cut Oats
- 3 TBSP Flax Meal
- 1 C Cassava Flour
- ⅔ C Maple Syrup
- ½ C Melted Ghee
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp nutmeg
- 3 Apples; peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Peel, core, and chop apples.
- Combine steel cut oats, flax meal, cassava flour, maple syrup, melted ghee, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Grease 8x8 baking dish (I use ghee here as well).
- Spread ½ mixture out evenly on bottom of greased dish, use spatula or fork to flatten.
- Place apples evenly over top bottom layer.
- Top apples with remainder of mixture, spread as evenly as possible. Don't worry if there are a few apples showing through, the mixture will spread out while baking.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325 F. Broil for 3 minutes at 525 F.
- Let cool and enjoy with a side of ice cream!
I’ll be back with some classic pumpkin recipes for fall next, but in the meantime, enjoy the other flavor of fall with my Clean Apple Crisp. Comment below if you give it a try!