Hi everyone, happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great first week of 2018 and that you are all feeling ready to tackle this New Year head on. I’ve been trying to focus on my intentions, but let’s just say that some are going better than others. I leave for Europe on Wednesday though and I think that once I am back from Europe that’s when my real 2018 will kick off. This past week and a half have felt like a weird in between period.
Today I am sharing a fabulous recipe for roasted chicken and garlic potatoes, I made it last night and it was the ultimate Sunday comfort food. It also makes a ton so it’s the perfect thing to meal prep for the week. Before I share the recipe though, I’m sharing a quick weekend recap below!
The first weekend of 2018 was a great one! Friday night started off with a barre class at PureBarre in Cherry Creek. I don’t really go to barre often, but this class was awesome. The instructor brought great energy and it felt like the perfect way to kick off my weekend.
After barre I got ready for the evening and went to dinner with James and couple friends of ours. We started at the Thirsty Lion in Cherry Creek for a round of Moscow Mules and then went next door to Blue Island Oyster Bar. I forgot to snap pictures of course, but it was delicious. We split an order of the mussels to start and then for my meal I chose the salmon special with a side of the curried cauliflower dates. It was amazing and I ate every bite. We also split two bottles of red wine between the four of us.
Saturday morning we were up bright and early and we drove up to Breckenridge with the same friends for a day of skiing. We spent most of the day on Peak 9 and I accidentally ended up on my first mogul run.
We ended the day with a few drinks at Coppertop Bar on Peak 9 before we headed back to Denver.
Saturday night I grabbed dinner with a few girlfriend’s at LaLa’s. Again, no pictures, but it was delicious. Good food and good company. After dinner I met up with James at a friends house where we stayed before calling it a night around 12 or so.
On Sunday morning I met up with two of my girlfriends for an Orange Theory Fitness class. It was an awesome, sweaty workout, just the workout I needed to start the week. After the workout we stopped by the Delectable Egg for breakfast before splitting up to run some errands. The rest of the day was errands and cooking which brings me to the Roasted Chicken and Garlic Potatoes below!
Roasted Chicken and Garlic Potatoes
What You’ll Need
Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 3.5 lb whole chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme + leaves
- 8 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp Himalayan sea salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1½ lb small potatoes (I used variety bag of red, yellow, and purple)
- Preheat oven to 425
- Place cast iron pan in oven to warm while preparing meal
- Clean chicken, remove gizzards, and excess fat
- Grease chicken with 2 tbsp ghee and rub with 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp pepper
- Quarter lemon, squeeze juice inside of chicken, and place lemon wedges inside
- Peel garlic, place all but 4 cloves inside chicken
- Place sprig of thyme inside chicken
- Use kitchen string to truss chicken
- Place chicken to the side to sit
- Wash and dry potatoes
- Thinly slice potatoes, place in large mixing bowl
- Dice onions, add to potatoes
- Melt 4 tbsp of ghee, pour 2 tbsp over potatoes and onions, save the remainder
- Season potatoes and onions with ½ tbsp salt and ½ tbsp pepper
- Crush remaining garlic and add to potatoes
- Toss the potatoes and onions together, coating them generously
- Remove cast iron pan from oven
- Place chicken in center of cast iron pan
- Place potatoes and onions around cast iron pan
- Pour remainder of melted ghee, salt, and pepper over the chicken
- Cook for 60 minutes at 425
- Check with thermometer to see that chicken has reached 155 degrees in thickest part of the chicken
- Remove chicken from oven, let sit for 10 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees in thickest part
- Carve and serve